Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Making Peace with Pink

I have spent the majority of my years loathing the colour pink. At one time my disdain for the hue was so strong that even a gloriously rosy sunset left me unmoved. Pink meant girlishness, which meant weakness, which was anathema to me. You can probably guess I was not raised to equate femininity with strength. Everything has changed. Because of roller derby and my work as an official, pink to me now is powerful, womanly, playful, knowledgeable. In short, everything I aim to be in my life. And I look hella good in it!

I began the roller derby NSO (non-skating official) journey just this year, early 2011, when my friends on the local team took me out for a drink, thrust a manual in my hands and "asked" me to be their head NSO. Apparently when they needed someone who could be loud and bossy, my name came up. I like to think that they also recognized my passion for communication, continual learning and inclusion, all of which are necessary in order to be an effective head NSO. I will discuss these qualities and more in future posts, because that is the aim of this blog: to record my experiences and education in roller derby officialdom. For now, suffice to say that I am outing myself as a lover of all things pink. Except for pink jellybeans, those are just gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment